Dogs and Chocolate

Chocolate Poisoning: Keep your Dog Safe this Valentine’s Day

Dress up your Dog in Fashionable and Trendy Puppy Costumes this Valentine’s Day, but be careful with chocolates.

Valentine’s Day is all about romance, sweets, fragrances, and flowers. But while it is a great time to show your loved ones how much you care for them, be careful with your Valentine’s gifts especially if you have a four-legged love at home.

Did you know that traditional tokens of affection such as roses, chocolates, and other candies can be harmful for your furry little friend? Being a loving dog parent, you just adore your little canine. These furry little creatures are not so much of a pet as they are members of your family and while you feel tempted to keep up with your evening snuggle-spending quality time with your faithful canine, this can lead to serious health consequences.

Why is Chocolate Bad for My Dog

According to Animal Poison Control Center ASPCA, “chocolate is the number 1 toxin that dogs get into.”

Chocolates and dogs can be a lethal combination. Rich in caffeine and a chemical called Theobromine, chocolate can be toxic to your dog. Chocolate poisoning can cause serious health complications for your adorable little pooch such as nervous system, gastrointestinal issues, and even seizures and cardiac arrest. Even small amount of chocolate is harmful for your dog and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

The chemical is the major cause of health complications in dogs that eat chocolate accidently. Theobromine is in highest concentration in dark chocolate. Even if it is present in small amounts as low as 220 mgs per pound of body weight, it can be harmful.

What Happens if your Dog Eats Chocolate?

If your furry faced quadrupled kid loves to sneak into your things, it’s likely that they may try to break into your Valentine’s gifts including chocolate. You should be well aware of the possible health changes they may experience after ingesting it.

Depending upon factors like health, age, weight and the type of chocolate consumed, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning vary. Since it is directly related to the concentration of Theobromine and your pooch’s size, it is very easy to predict how a cute little dog could be in trouble before a giant mastiff.

Don’t panic if the incident happens. Chocolate poisoning can be treated if it is diagnosed and treated early enough. The approach is to immediately contact your vet or the Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 if you notice any of these symptoms in your dog.

  • Diarrhea
  • Shaking
  • Vomiting
  • Heavy breathing
  • Seizures
  • Ataxia (lack of control of bodily movements
  • Hyperactivity
  • Irregular/Fast heatbeat
  • Frequent urination
  • Hyperthermia

*Please be advised that you may be charged for this call.

Chocolate poisoning sure is a scary thing for your little friend; however, there is no need to let it spoil the most romantic day of the year. Be a little extra careful and keep your Valentine’s gifts especially chocolates out of reach from prying paws and you can by all means, enjoy Valentine’s Day and the sweet treats.

Have a beautiful Valentine!

16-TD-001411-web-ads2
16-TD-001411-web-ads