Holiday Hazards for Your Pet


The holiday season is the best time of the year for many. With gifts, decorations, and all sorts of fun things to do, it’s no wonder that everyone looks forward to the holiday season!

While it’s easy to get caught up in all the festivities, do make to take care of your pets during the holidays. Here are some common holiday hazards for your pet to be careful of.


Bright plants are the most common way to decorate your home in time for the holiday season. If you own pets, however, you will have to be extra careful.
Certain common holiday plants can be detrimental to the health of your pets. These poisonous plants include mistletoe, holly, lilies, etc. The best way to keep your pet safe and healthy is to do your research on which plants are toxic. This way, you’ll be able to avoid bringing in these plants altogether, or at the very least, make sure your pets stay away from any toxic plants.


Typically, holiday candy such as Easter eggs and jelly beans can be toxic for pets if ingested. Chocolate, especially, is incredibly toxic as most animals don’t have the enzyme that helps them digest toxic. As such, it causes them to become sick.

It’s common to give out goodie bags full of chocolates during the Easter and Christmas holidays. If you own a pet, you will have to make sure that these goodie bags are kept out of reach of your pets.

Make sure not to wrap up any chocolate and keep it under a Christmas tree because your pup is most likely going to sniff its scent and eat it.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees can be pretty dangerous to your pets. For example, if your Christmas tree is not properly secured, it can fall down on your pup who is trying to climb it. The pine needles of the tree can even irritate your pet’s digestive tract, if they swallow the needles, causing stomach problems.

Christmas trees are always decorated with ornaments that can be sharp and can cause a lot of damage to your pet’s bodies if ingested. Additionally, Christmas trees may contain preservatives that can become toxic for your pet if mixed with water.


It’s common for animal bones such as ham bones and turkey bones to become stuck in the digestive tract or stomach of your pet. This can lead to stomach problems, and your pet may even require surgery to have these removed.

These accidents are pretty common on holidays such as Thanksgiving, so you need to be extra careful on such occasions to make sure that this does not happen.


If your pup is curious about wires that are strewn around the house, they might get hurt by the electrical cords that are used for holiday lights and decoration. The best thing to do here is to use electrical tape to stick the wires and cords to the floor or walls, effectively hiding them from your pets.

These holiday hazards for your pet are things to look out for this holiday season!

24 April Top Dog Ads2
24 April Top Dog Ads 1
24 April Top Dog Ads3 1