It’s Poison Prevention Week. This week is a great time to make pet owners aware of all the things that can be poisonous to your pets. Here are 3 things you may not have known were poisonous to your pet but need to be kept away from your pets at all costs.
1. Human Food
Human food can be far more dangerous for your pets than you might have thought. In fact, some of our favorite foods like grapes, chocolate, avocado, nuts, and alcohol, can be poisonous for our pets.
Even healthy foods such as garlic and onions can be poisonous for certain animals because their body’s chemical composition and their metabolism are drastically different from ours. If your pup, for example, is having breathing problems, stomach problems, or weakness, it may be a sign that he has eaten human food, especially food items like chocolate.
2. Household Products
This isn’t too much of a surprise. It only makes sense to keep household products such as bleach, insecticides, paints, etc. out of reach of your pets. Make sure that all of these chemical substances are either locked up in cabinets or kept in high places where your pets cannot reach them.
If your pet accidentally ingests any of these poisonous substances, make sure to take him to a vet immediately.
3. House Plants
House plants may look pretty and may brighten the outlook of your home, but if your pet begins to feast on those leaves, the results can be disastrous.
The most common house plants that can be poisonous for your pets include lilies, azaleas, daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths.
In minor cases, your pet may just have stomach problems, but in more severe cases of poisoning, he may have breathing problems and can even die.
Always do your homework before bringing in new plants into your home.
These 3things you may not have known were poisonous to your pet need to be kept away from your pets at all times.